Monday, November 2, 2009

Sweet Rielyn--Hands Up Charity Event for a very special girl!

This post is a very special one. Meet Rielyn--a very sweet, special (and busy!) baby girl! Rielyn has profound hearing loss--this means she most likely hears nothing. Several months shy of her first birthday, Rielyn's mom and dad noticed that she was not responding to noises or verbal communication as she should, and sure enough, tests confirmed their fears. The awesome news is that Rielyn is a candidate for cochlear implants! The bad news? Insurance will pay for only ONE. The estimated cost for the other is anywhere between $45,000.00 to $80,000.00. Outrageous!

I wanted to do a photoshoot of Rielyn to capture her sweet little smile and show the world that this is profound hearing loss looks like. You can't see it or touch it, but it exists. Imagine going through life not being able to hear music, laughter, your mother or father or siblings' voices. The purpose of this blog post is to raise awareness regarding profound hearing loss, tell Rielyn's story and spread the word about a charity event being held in her honor.

If you are local, please consider attending this entertaining event presented by H.A.N.D.S. U.P.: Holiday Magic at Cape Harbour on Friday, November 20th from 7pm-10pm. There will be live entertainment, FREE pictures w/ Santa, an appearance by Miss US Continental, raffles etc. Admission is free, so please stop by and help raise some money for Rielyn! If you do not live locally and would like to make a donation (any little bit helps!) OR learn more about Rielyn, please visit her website.

And without further adieu, here is sweet Rielyn!



I'd love to know what she is thinking here! Notice the tongue...

And the tongue again...


And yet again!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shannon...seriously she looks so adorable. Thank you for your kinds words, they brought tears to my eyes. You did an amazing job and you have such an eye, a gift, such patience for this work you do. I love you for doing this.
Courtney

Britney said...

What an adorable little girl. The family is in my prayers and I hope her surgery goes well! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, she is the most precious little girl! So beautiful, as is your work!

Ditto Britney - the family is in my prayers! I hope all goes well.

Northern Lights Photography said...

what a cutie! gorgeous eyes! captured them beautifully!

Kelli Bramble said...

What a beautiful session...best of luck to her family....they will be in my prayers!

Sheryll said...

Adorable photos and adorable girl!

Kathy Scoffield said...

Wow Shannon! These are gorgeous! Her eyes are gorgeous and I love the tongue! Best wishes to her on the fund raising!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Oh my goodness Shannon, you captured this little girl so beautifully. These are amazingly spectacular. :)

Nicholette said...

What a stinkin' cutie! Love her eyes! Just beautiful. I hope all goes well with her surgery. I can't believe it costs that much! You did an awesome job.

Cindy said...

She is so adorable! Love the little tongue! Beautiful images!

DarbyM said...

What a beauty she is! Those blue eyes are so full of smiles! I hope all goes well with surgery. She will be in my prayers.

Alyssa said...

These pictures really are so precious. Rielyn is so beautiful and has such a sweet spirit about her. I love the pictures with her little tongue sticking out. So cute!

Becky said...

What a beautiful little girl! Gorgeous blue eyes! Best wishes to her family.

Brooke said...

She is so gorgeous! GORGEOUS! I wish this sweet baby and her family the best. You captured her so well Shannon, these are beautiful.

Shannon said...

Thanks to everybody for the comments...she is the sweetest little girl!

Michelle said...

Shannon- you did such a beautiful job! Rielyn looks so great. What a little angel. :)

dyansue said...

Hi- What a BEAUTIFUL little girl. She looks cute with her hearing aids on (seriously, pretty pink!!) I know I never met any one of you... but I am Deaf myself. I completely understood the little girl's journey.

I am one of the luckiest girl in the entire world-- my parents and brothers are also Deaf. We communicate with sign language perfectly!

I am not sure where exactly you are... I really do hope you would consider sign language one of the mode of communication for this awesome little girl. You can check that website out: http://www.dbcusa.org/

Best of luck with your little girl-- I definitely would love to meet her and the family..

If you have more questions, I can be reached at dyansue@hotmail.com.